Maintenance Issues

What Maintenance is a Tenant Responsible For?

  • Tenants are responsible for the following throughout their tenancy:
  • Replacing lightbulbs
  • Replacing fuses
  • Clearing blocked sinks and wastes
  • Most Condensation issues
  • All Cleaning
  • Replacing smoke alarm batteries
  • All Rubbish disposal
  • Cleaning extractor and filters Garden maintenance (if applicable).

What Constitutes An Emergency?

  • No Heating Total failure of a central heating system between the months of October and April inclusive is considered an emergency. However, the out of hours emergency service should only be used if you are going to be left without heating for more than 24 hours (e.g. over the weekend), or if a person or property is at risk due to a burst pipe causing a major leak from any part of the heating system.
  • Gas Leak You should call the National Grid (formerly Transco) in the first instance on 0800 111 999, who will attend to isolate the meter and make safe. If this results in a lack of heating, see “No heating”. If the outcome is a gas cooker or gas fire not working, out-of-hours action will not be deemed necessary where alternative cooking/heating facilities are available.
  • No Hot Water The out-of-hours emergency service should only be used if you are going to be left without any hot water from any source for more than 24 hours (e.g. over the weekend).
  • Lack of Power Supply Considered an emergency if there is a total loss throughout the property and, only then, after first checking:
  • The fuse board.
  • Neighbouring properties.
  • Or with the electricity supplier to determine whether there is a general power cut with electricity supplier or to determine whether the supply has been cut off due to unpaid bills or failure to pay for connection.
  • Total Lack of Water Supply Considered an emergency if there is total lack if water supply anywhere in the property. The water supplier should be contacted in the first instance to ensure that works are not being carried out in the area.
  • Plumbing Leaks Considered an emergency if it cannot be contained and is causing damage, especially if penetrating an electrical fitting. You should isolate the leak by turning the water off at the stopcock or gate valve until the contractor attends to identify the source and carry out the necessary repairs. If the leak is coming from a property above or adjacent, you should contact those occupants immediately.
  • Roof Leaks Considered an emergency if the leak is causing major damage or is penetrating an electrical fitting. In wet, windy or dark conditions, a contractor would be sent to make safe only. Only in safe conditions will a contractor attend to identify the source and carry out the necessary repairs.
  • Damaged to Roof Considered an emergency if hazardous, such as slates possibly falling on to a public highway.
  • Downpipes & Gutters Considered an emergency only if water is entering the building causing major damage or a loose part is dangerous and cannot be made safe.
  • Blockages Clearing blocked waste outlets, traps and pipes to the kitchen sink, bath, wash basins, etc is the tenant’s responsibility. If a contractor is dispatched, tenants will be recharged the cost of attending to any blockages if it is found to have been caused by the tenant’s negligent action, e.g. flushing of nappies, disposal of food.
  • Toilets – considered an emergency if the only toilet on the premises is blocked, and only then if attempts to flush with a bucket of water have failed.
  • Showers, Baths or Sinks – considered an emergency only if there is no other means of washing available in the property.
  • Drains – considered an emergency if damage is being caused, or it’s causing a Health & Safety problem, or it’s preventing the use of the toilet (see ‘toilets’).
  • Broken Windows You should notify the police in the first instance and obtain a crime reference number, unless the damage has been caused by you, in which case, the cost will be recharged to you. If out-of-hours, a contractor will be dispatched to attend and board up if the damaged glass is dangerous or the window is on the ground floor or any other place likely to make the property vulnerable to criminals.
  • Unsecure Property If the property is unsecure as a result of a break-in, e.g. damaged door, you should notify the police in the first instance and obtain a crime reference number. A ground floor window being jammed open or an inoperable lock would also be considered an emergency.
  • Defective Manhole Covers Considered an emergency if the cover is missing, or if the damaged or loose manhole cover is dangerous.
  • Dangerous Walls & Fences Considered an emergency if in a dangerous condition, e.g. storm damage or accidental impact damage. These will be made safe in the first instance. Repairs and/or rebuilds will not be treated as an emergency.

Response Times

    Response times will vary depending on the urgency of the task. All non-emergency reports are prioritised on a daily basis by the maintenance team and responded to in descending order of importance. All works are scheduled, wherever possible, to minimise the level of disruption to tenants: although in cases of emergency or urgent reactive maintenance jobs, there may be some unavoidable disruption. Where this occurs,we will try to notify you as soon as it can.

Report A Repair

Welcome to Duffin’s Estate Agents repairs and maintenance reporting system. We appreciate that from time to time you may experience problems with your property and we’re here to help. This system is available for tenants of properties managed by us. If your landlord manages your property themselves, you will need to contact the landlord directly.

It is important to keep your property in the best possible state of repair and it is the tenant’s responsibility to promptly report any repairs or maintenance.

Fields marked with an * are required.